Saturday, November 22, 2008

Attack of the Killer Green Poo and criticism for breast feeding


My son likes junk food full of carbs.

He likes to fall asleep at the nipple, and gets more foremilk as opposed to the fat rich hind milk. The consequence of such junk food snacking is spring green stools. Green Eggs and Ham and green stools! After more than a week of dealing with his bad cold and vax reactions, I tried not to freak out when I found the green surprise in his diaper. Now I have seen dark green, neon green, light green, all shades of green. Nothing will surprise me now at this point.

I have taken strict measures for correction: cheek tickling, proper positioning and burping to get the guy to stay on longer and ingest the fatty stuff! As long as he is passing stools and it not the color black, I am happy. From what I have heard this is normal stuff for breast fed babies.

On another note, I have had criticism for breastfeeding already. When I visited Los Angeles when Luca was six weeks old, which was probably the worst experience of my life but that is a whole other story... I was told to feed my son rice cereal and formula so that he would sleep through the night. I was told it would be more convenient to feed him formula. I should feed him formula so that he is easier to care for and easier for others to take care of him. I have been asked how long am I planning to breastfeed. I was asked if it isn't tiresome.

I was screamed at for two days straight for letting prepared frozen pumped breast milk go to room temperature. I have been told I should put a cloth over my son's head while he eats. I should not breast feed in public, its not right. Three things happen here: my child indicates need, I offer my breast, and an observer objects.

I am not putting a cloth over my son's head while he eats, preventing him from making eye contact with me which makes him feel safe and causing emotional problems for him. If he is hungry, I have no shame and I am feeding him a hot meal on the spot. I refuse to feed my child in the dark or in a bathroom. Back in the day it was improper for pregnant women to be in public. The more women that breast feed in public, the more people will get used to it.

Thank God I now live in the Bay Area and don't have to deal with ignorant people's societal hangups. I get nods of approval from women and men, and people of all types coming up to me to talk.

Breast milk: it is the most nutritious, perfect meal I can provide for my son. My breast milk protects my son from pathogens by giving him immunity. It is easy to prepare, costs nothing, I don't have to do heat it up or do dishes. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that "breastfeeding continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually desired." The World Health Organization recommends that babies be breastfed for at least two years. Luca's pediatrician is amazed and very pleased I am still breastfeeding. She thinks I am doing a great job and gave me a hug when I told her what I went through.

I plan on breast feeding for a long time, and the subject is completely off bounds.

California Codes with regards to Breast Feeding:

Cal. Civil Code § 43.3 (1997) allows a mother to breastfeed her child in any location, public or private, except the private home or residence of another, where the mother and the child are otherwise authorized to be present. (AB 157)

Cal. Health and Safety Code § 123360 and § 1257.9 requires that the Department of Public Health include in its public service campaign the promotion of mothers breastfeeding their infants. The department shall also develop a training course of hospital policies and recommendations that promote exclusive breastfeeding and specify staff for whom this model training is appropriate. The recommendation is targeted at hospitals with exclusive patient breastfeeding rates ranked in the lowest twenty-five percent of the state. (2007 Chapter 460, SB 22)

Cal. Lab. Code § 1030 et seq. (2001) provides that employers need to allow a break and provide a room for a mother who desires to express milk in private.

Cal. Assembly Concurrent Resolution 155 (1998) encourages the state and employers to support and encourage the practice of breastfeeding by striving to accommodate the needs of employees, and by ensuring that employees are provided with adequate facilities for breastfeeding and expressing milk for their children. The resolution memorializes the governor to declare by executive order that all state employees be provided with adequate facilities for breast feeding and expressing milk.

Cal. Civil Code § 210.5 (2000) allows the mother of a breastfed child to postpone jury duty for one year and specifically eliminates the need for the mother to appear in court to request the postponement. The law also provides that the one-year period may be extended upon written request of the mother. [Chap. 266; AB 1814]

Cal. Health and Safety Code § 1647 (1999) declares that the procurement, processing, distribution or use of human milk for the purpose of human consumption is considered to be a rendition of service rather than a sale of human milk. [Chap. 87; AB 532]

2 comments:

KhaosCat said...

You go girl!!! I breast feed my last soon for 23 month and I did it when and where he was hungry.
Feeding your child is the most natural healthy thing you can do for him...Congrats on your new baby I hope you will let me hold him at Biz Baz. I promise I am cottie free. xoxo kiss Luca for me.
Casey
Khaoscat

Christine said...

I hereby give you permission to breast feed baby Luca at my house in Los Angeles, worry free!!

....seriously people are so lamo. Breast is best, you rock.

with love, Christine and baby ---->